Broccoli Rice is a delicious side dish and a flavorful change from plain white rice.
An Easy Side
- This dish goes from one pot to the dinner table in the time your main dish is ready to serve.
- It makes a great side but can also be served as a main dish.
- Broccoli is always available, affordable and so versatile.
- We love cheddar and parmesan but add in your own favorite cheeses.
RICE Long grain white rice is cooked in seasoned broth. If desired, it’s possible to swap white rice for brown, or wild rice mixture. Cook time and liquid may need to be adjusted.
BROCCOLI Fresh broccoli is chopped into small pieces and added towards the end of cooking so it doesn’t get mushy. Frozen broccoli can be thawed and added in place of fresh broccoli.
CHEESE We use cheddar, and parmesan cheeses (plus a touch of cream). The result is a rich and flavorful dish that everyone loves!
- For different flavors, switch out the light cream for either a can of cream of mushroom soup and add sautéed mushrooms, or cream of chicken soup and add cooked, shredded, or diced chicken.
- This is a great recipe to add leftovers like turkey, beef, sausage, or ham. Even bacon can be added!
- For extra fiber and a mildly nutty flavor, use brown rice instead of white rice (cook time and liquid ratios will need to be adjusted)
- For a great topping, add a sprinkle of cheddar on top and cover with a lid or broil a few minutes.
How to Make Broccoli Rice
Broccoli Rice is super easy to make! Just a few quick steps and it’s ready to serve!
- Sauté onion in butter per the recipe below.
- Add rice, broth, & garlic, bring to a boil, then simmer. Add broccoli to the rice during the last 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat & stir in cheese and cream.
Season and enjoy!
Broccoli Rice in the Instant Pot
- Set Instant Pot to sauté & cook onion in butter until tender. Add rice, broth, & garlic powder.
- Cook on high for 10 minutes, then quick release.
- Stir, then add broccoli & cream. Close the lid & let broccoli steam for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid & stir in the cheeses & serve immediately.
- Keep broccoli rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Serve cold and scoop into a wrap for a workday lunch or reheat in the microwave.
- Freeze broccoli rice in a zippered bag (quart-sized bags for single servings), label with the date, and freeze for up to 6 weeks.
Best Broccoli Sides
Did you make this Quick Broccoli Rice? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Quick Broccoli Rice
This creamy & cheesy broccoli recipe is a delicious side dish that cooks in 30 minutes!
In a medium saucepan, cook onion in butter over medium heat until tender.
Add broth, rice, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook 14 minutes.
Quickly add broccoli to the pot and cover. Cook an additional 5-6 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Remove from the heat and rest covered 5 minutes.
Fluff with fork and stir in cream and cheeses.
Serving: 0.66cup, Calories: 254, Carbohydrates: 34g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 28mg, Sodium: 483mg, Potassium: 268mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 507IU, Vitamin C: 40mg, Calcium: 146mg, Iron: 1mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword best broccoli rice, Broccoli Rice, Broccoli Rice recipe, Broccoli Rice side dish
Course Side Dish